Weapons Complex Vol 25 No 18
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Weapons Complex Monitor
Article 14 of 14
May 02, 2014

Wrap Up: In DNFSB, In The Industry

By Mike Nartker

WC Monitor
5/2/2014

IN THE DNFSB

House lawmakers are looking to lower the maximum number of employees the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board can have by 20 percent. A provision in the House version of the FY 2015 defense authorization bill, which was reported out of subcommittee this week, would limit the number of full-time employees at the Board to 120, beginning Oct. 1, 2015. The Board currently has an employee limit of 150 employees, and is set to have a total of 120 employees by the end of this fiscal year. In its FY 2015 budget request, the Board is seeking $30.15 million, an increase of approximately $2 million from current funding levels. Approximately half of the sought-after boost in funding would be used to increase the Board’s headcount to 125 employees. The House bill would authorize a funding level matching the Board’s FY 2015 request.  

IN THE INDUSTRY

Elias Gedeon has joined Babcock & Wilcox as Senior Vice President and Chief Business Development Officer. Gedeon previously served as Alstom Power’s Boiler Group Vice President, Global Sales and Marketing. In his new role, Gedeon will  “provide leadership to drive B&W’s organic growth initiatives and efforts to expand the Company’s footprint internationally,” according to a company release issued this week. “We’re pleased to welcome Elias to B&W and are excited about the outstanding leadership and direction he’ll bring to our growth initiatives,” B&W President and CEO E. James Ferland, President and Chief Executive Officer said in the release. “His broad, global experience will be instrumental in helping our Company better develop and close key deals, leverage relationships and more effectively position B&W as a trusted advisor to win emerging opportunities, particularly in our commercial energy businesses.”

Bechtel National has been awarded Department of Energy Voluntary Protection Program Star Status, recognizing excellence in occupational safety and health protection. Star Status is the VPP highest award, and Bechtel first earned that status in 2010 for its work at the Hanford Waste Treatment Plant. "Employees have done an excellent job in taking ownership for their safety, as well as their co-workers’ safety through the employee-developed My Brother’s Keeper program,” said Peggy McCullough, Bechtel project director. Bechtel continues to enhance its safety culture at the construction site, from improved safety and health training to increased employee involvement, said Bill Hamel, DOE assistant manager for the plant.

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More