Weapons Complex Monitor Vol. 31 No. 17
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Weapons Complex Monitor
Article 10 of 10
April 24, 2020

Wrap Up: No Word Yet on Oak Ridge Extension

By Staff Reports

The Energy Department has yet to execute an extension of up to two years for the Amentum-led joint venture responsible for remediation at the Oak Ridge Site in Tennessee.

The agency in February announced its intention to award a sole-source deal to URS/CH2M Oak Ridge (UCOR) in the form of a one-year extension, plus options for two additional six-month periods.

After the vendor declined comment, an Energy Department spokesman said this week via email he had no new information about a possible extension.

UCOR’s existing nine-year, $3.3 billion contract is scheduled to expire July 31.

The Energy Department had said in July 2019 it intended to issue a draft request for proposals for a new long-term contract within 60 days. That never happened.

In February, DOE said extending the UCOR contract for two years might not be necessary. But the option to keep the contractor around for up to a biennium provides continuity during the transition from remediation of the East Tennessee Technology Park, the former uranium enrichment complex at Oak Ridge, to cleanup projects at the Y-12 National Security Complex and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

 

BWX Technologies said Monday it has appointed Robb LeMasters as senior vice president and chief strategy officer. He is scheduled to start work on July 13.

LeMasters, well under 50, was the managing director at hedge fund Blue Harbour Group, whose owner announced its closure in February. LeMasters since 2015 has served on BWXT’s Board of Directors — a position from which he resigned last week to take a full-time job that touches nearly all business units for the Lynchburg, Va.-based provider of nuclear naval fuel, reactor parts, and defense-uranium services.

“In this new role, LeMasters will be responsible for driving BWXT’s overall corporate strategy for growth in its various national security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration markets,” the company said in a press release. “He will also oversee the company’s investor relations and mergers and acquisitions functions.”

Rex Geveden, president and chief executive officer of BWXT since 2017, said LeMasters has been “instrumental in helping our company unlock shareholder value through his role as a director of the corporation over the last half decade. His familiarity with our company and its strategic opportunities make him a perfect fit for this role.”

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More