Nuclear Security & Deterrence Monitor Vol. 20 No. 40
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Nuclear Security & Deterrence Monitor
Article 4 of 7
October 14, 2016

PF-4 in Full Operation at LANL

By Alissa Tabirian

The Los Alamos National Laboratory’s (LANL) Plutonium Facility (PF-4) has returned to full operations following a years-long pause in the facility’s fissile material operations, the National Nuclear Security Administration said this week.

Fissile material operations at the nation’s only fully capable plutonium research and processing facility were suspended in June 2013 because of criticality safety weaknesses stemming in part from lack of management commitment to criticality safety and attrition in key safety personnel.

A Department of Energy review released in January said LANL had made significant improvements toward fully resuming operations, including in its execution of procedures, criticality safety postings, fissile material labeling, and worker training and qualification.

In August, LANL spokesman Kevin Roark said the lab had implemented new criticality safety controls at the facility as part of the site’s nuclear criticality safety program, which intends to prevent inadvertent nuclear criticalities, or self-sustaining nuclear fission chain reactions.

Recently, a federal readiness assessment team out-briefed the results of its review of plutonium pyrochemistry operations at the facility, at which time a team leader said LANL and NNSA Field Office readiness practices “were best in the complex,” according to a Sept. 9 site representative report, released last week, from the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board.

The report said 18 more readiness activities will take place over the next two years, including those related to aqueous chloride and nitrate operations, and that once all remaining corrective actions are closed, “LANL will have completed the revised scope of the formal restart project, restoring basic functionality to the facility’s manufacturing and surveillance missions.”

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More