Nuclear Security & Deterrence Vol. 19 No. 4
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Nuclear Security & Deterrence Monitor
Article 16 of 19
January 30, 2015

Oak Ridge Extends American Centrifuge Contract With Centrus Through September

By Todd Jacobson

Kenneth Fletcher
NS&D Monitor
1/30/2015

Oak Ridge National Laboratory has extended its American Centrifuge Technology Demonstration and Operations contract with Centrus Energy Corp. through Sept. 30. The $41.7 million deal was expected after the Fiscal Year 2015 omnibus spending bill included $97.2 million for domestic uranium enrichment research, development and demonstration. Under the agreement, Oak Ridge National Laboratory manages the work, while Centrus maintains the American Centrifuge technology for possible future deployment. While Centrus is hoping for deployment of a train of centrifuges for national security purposes, the Department of Energy has not yet made any decisions on the future of the technology but has a report due to Congress later this year on uranium enrichment needs.

The agreement previously had been set to expire on March 31, and requires Centrus to gather technical report and data that it presents to ORNL. “Our American Centrifuge team continues to make solid progress executing the ACTDO agreement,” Centrus Vice President for American Centrifuge Steven Penrod said in a statement. “We are operating a cascade of machines and demonstrating this remarkable uranium enrichment technology that is capable of supporting our country’s national security objectives. We appreciate ORNL’s confidence in our team’s work through their support of this six-month extension.”

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More
RadWaste Vol. 8 No. 4
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
RadWaste & Materials Monitor
Article 1 of 8
January 30, 2015

Oak Ridge Extends American Centrifuge Contract With Centrus Through September

By Jeremy Dillon

Kenneth Fletcher
RW Monitor
1/30/2015

Oak Ridge National Laboratory has extended its American Centrifuge Technology Demonstration and Operations contract with Centrus Energy Corp. through Sept. 30. The $41.7 million deal was expected after the Fiscal Year 2015 omnibus spending bill included $97.2 million for domestic uranium enrichment research, development and demonstration. Under the agreement, Oak Ridge National Laboratory manages the work, while Centrus maintains the American Centrifuge technology for possible future deployment. While Centrus is hoping for deployment of a train of centrifuges for national security purposes, the Department of Energy has not yet made any decisions on the future of the technology but has a report due to Congress later this year on uranium enrichment needs.

The agreement previously had been set to expire on March 31, and requires Centrus to gather technical report and data that it presents to ORNL. “Our American Centrifuge team continues to make solid progress executing the ACTDO agreement,” Centrus Vice President for American Centrifuge Steven Penrod said in a statement. “We are operating a cascade of machines and demonstrating this remarkable uranium enrichment technology that is capable of supporting our country’s national security objectives. We appreciate ORNL’s confidence in our team’s work through their support of this six-month extension.”

 

 

 

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More