Morning Briefing - April 12, 2018
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Morning Briefing
Article 4 of 8
April 12, 2018

No Yucca Funding, but No Prohibition, After Senate Appropriations Hearing

By ExchangeMonitor

Senate appropriators on Wednesday did not forbid the Department of Energy from turning Yucca Mountain in Nevada into a permanent nuclear waste repository, but they also did not promise to give the agency funding for the project in fiscal 2019.

As it did last year, the department has requested $120 million for paper and preparatory work on a license application with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that would, if approved, allow DOE to build the nation’s first permanent repository for civilian and defense radioactive waste.

In 2017, the Senate Appropriations energy and water development subcommittee shot the idea down in its first DOE budget hearing of the year. At the time, the panel wanted DOE to reinstate the Obama administration’s consent-based policy for disposal of nuclear waste, which would effectively have taken Yucca off the table.

At a hearing Wednesday on the latest DOE budget plan, the subcommittee kept Yucca on the table, but did not say whether it would fund DOE’s application to license the mountain as a waste facility.

“I strongly believe that Yucca Mountain can and should be part of the solution to the nuclear waste stalemate,” subcommittee Chairman Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said in prepared remarks. “Federal law designates Yucca Mountain as the nation’s repository for used nuclear fuel, and the Commission’s own scientists have told us that we can safely store nuclear waste there for up to one million years.”

Also as he did last year, Alexander urged Energy Secretary Rick Perry — one of three DOE witnesses at the hearing — to steer some of the spent nuclear fuel now sitting at power plants to privately operated interim storage facilities.

There are no such facilities at the moment, but Holtec International wants to build one in southeastern New Mexico. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has scheduled public meetings about Holtec’s proposal for late April and early May. Meanwhile, Orano and Waste Control Specialists plan to restart the latter’s license application for a spent-fuel storate site in West Texas.

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More