RadWaste Monitor Vol. 14 No. 32
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
RadWaste & Materials Monitor
Article 2 of 10
August 13, 2021

No Movement on Rad Waste During Special Session of TX Lege

By Benjamin Weiss

Although it was on the menu for a special session of the Texas legislature, the body didn’t debate this week legislation to address a proposed interim storage site for spent nuclear fuel in the state.

Several days of special sessions of the state Senate ended without discussion on Interim Storage Partners’ (ISP) proposed interim storage facility in Andrews County, Texas. Gov. Greg Abbott (R) said in a statement released July 5 that the chamber would address “[l]egislation reforming the laws governing radioactive waste to protect the safety of Texans, including by further limiting the ability to store and transport high-level radioactive materials in this state.”

The special session, which began Aug. 7, was the first time the legislature had gaveled in since the end of May. It’s the second such meeting Abbot has called in the absence of state House Democrats, who left the state for Washington in July to prevent a voting access bill from passing. The current session will last a month, and if Abbott doesn’t call another, the legislature won’t be scheduled to meet again until 2023.

According to the legislative calendar, the special session will meet again Monday.

Debate on radioactive waste storage would follow a failed attempt to broach the subject in the state legislature’s regular session earlier this year, when a bill proposed by state Rep. Brooks Landgraf (R) failed to advance to the governor’s desk after a procedural concern in the state House in May.

Abbott himself has long been an opponent of ISP’s proposed site, penning a letter to then-president Donald Trump in October asking the White House to take action to prevent the Nuclear Regulatory Commission from granting the site a license.

The governor’s table-pounding appears to be in vain so far. On July 29, as part of an environmental review, NRC staff recommended granting a license to ISP — a joint venture between Dallas-based Waste Control Specialists (WCS) and nuclear services company Orano USA — for an interim storage site at WCS’s existing low-level waste facility in Andrews. 

NRC has said that a final licensing decision on the Texas site will come down in September.

ISP’s site is one of two proposed commercial locations for interim spent fuel storage. The other, owned by Holtec International, would be built in southeastern New Mexico. NRC has said that a final decision on that site would be ready in January.

Opponents of commercial interim storage sites have lately pressed the argument that federal law prohibits construction of such a facility before the federal government opens up a permanent repository for spent fuel, such as the moribund Yucca Mountain project in Nye County, Nev. The Nuclear Energy Institute trade group has said that law applies only to federally owned interim storage facilities.

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More