Morning Briefing - February 28, 2023
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Morning Briefing
Article 2 of 10
February 27, 2023

New WIPP ventilation system could be operating in 25-26 timeframe

By ExchangeMonitor

PHOENIX — The top manager for the Bechtel affiliate now in charge of the Department of Energy’s Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in New Mexico expects a new underground ventilation system to be operating by late 2025 or early 2026.

Ken Harrawood, president and program manager of Salado Isolation Mining, which took over as prime contract at Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP), offered the assessment to the Exchange Monitor at the conclusion of a Waste Management Symposia panel discussion on WIPP regulation.

Earlier in the day William (Ike) White, DOE Office of Environmental Management senior adviser, said the Safety Significant Confinement Ventilation System commissioning process will start by the end of the year.

That will involve start of commissioning of two major surface facilities for the new ventilation system, Harrawood said. Commissioning of these facilities, the Salt Reduction Building and the New Filter Building, should begin by the end of 2023, he added. The 25,000-square-foot Salt Reduction Building uses misters and other equipment to remove airborne salt before the air enters the New Filter Building, according to DOE.

Once it comes online in late 2025 or early 2026, the new ventilation system will about triple WIPP’s underground airflow to roughly 540,000 cubic feet per minute, according to DOE.

Currently, the ventilation system is “like the air is being blown through a straw,” said Kevin Stricklin, a former coal mine safety administrator for the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration. With the new system the straw will be more like a “tunnel,” said Stricklin during the session. The former mining official now works with Unwin, a risk management company.

In addition, the New Mexico Environment Department is taking comments on a new 10-year state permit for WIPP until April 19, said Megan McLean, an environmental scientist with the state agency. A public hearing is expected in September, she said.

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More