Morning Briefing - December 20, 2022
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Morning Briefing
Article 4 of 6
December 19, 2022

Livermore subcritical experiment series should now finish in early FY24, lab says

By ExchangeMonitor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s Nimble series of subcritical experiments in Nevada should wrap up in fiscal year 2024, about a year later than the California nuclear-weapons lab once planned.

The Nimble series “is scheduled to be complete later in FY23 & early FY24” a lab spokesperson wrote in an email on Monday, referring to government fiscal years 2023, which began Oct. 1, and fiscal year 2024, which begins Oct. 1, 2023.

That’s about a year behind the schedule that a lab official laid out in February at the Exchange Monitor’s annual Nuclear Deterrence Summit, when the first experiment in the Nimble series, Twin Peaks, was on the slate for the spring.

The Nevada National Security Site’s underground subcritical testing laboratory, the U1a Complex, had been in cold standby for much of the year, according to a report from the the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board. 

Also, the hoist used to lower subcritical experiments into the U1a lab was taken out of service after heavy monsoon-season rains in August and September by the site’s Honeywell-led site contractor, Mission Support and Test Services, the defense board said.

A spokesperson for the Nevada test site, reached Monday, did not have an immediate comment about the status of the U1a hoist.

Subcritical experiments involve the explosive compression, inside a heavy steel containment sphere, of small quantities of plutonium. These detonations produce no nuclear yield, the U.S. says, but allows scientists to observe — using high-speed x-ray cameras —  the behavior of fissile material under conditions that resemble the early stages of a nuclear explosion.

Analyzing those images helps weapons designers at Livermore and Los Alamos understand, without resorting to full-up, Cold War-style, nuclear-explosive tests, how nuclear-weapon components are aging and whether they have retained their design destructive capabilities.

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More