Secretary of Energy Chis Wright told Fox Business News last week that deleting diversity language from a federal request for proposals, could attract more interest in new small modular reactor technology funds.
The Department of Energy last week issued a $900-million solicitation for small modular reactor (SMR) technology. The DOE press release from March 24 said the SMR request for bids was being “re-issued.”
In a subsequent television interview on the “Mornings with Maria” Bartiromo program Wright said a key difference from an earlier version of the solicitation by President Joe Biden’s administration is the removal of expectations on diversity, equity and inclusion or DEI requirements for companies seeking the funding.
“One of the things we did from a previous draft was to strip out the DEI language,” Wright said. When Bartiromo asked if the removal of the DEI provision would facilitate new nuclear power, Wright agreed
“It will,” Wright said. There are “tons of great American companies spending private capital” developing advanced technology that can shut the plant down automatically when things go wrong. Wright said.
Nuclear energy is about powering homes, businesses and hospitals, Wright said “It is not about politics or skin color or sex,” Wright said. There are “some great technologies and we just want the focus on technology and energy,” Wright said.
A clip of the exchange was posted on the DOE LinkedIn page. During the segment, Wright also said the “nuclear renaissance” has been talked about for a long time, but just has not happened. President Donald Trump was elected “to make things happen,” Trump said. Since taking office, Trump has also targeted elimination of diversity, equity and inclusion programs throughout the federal government.
Before being confirmed as secretary of energy, Wright served on the board of directors for California-based Oklo, an advanced nuclear power technology company.