Weapons Complex Monitor Vol. 31 No. 31
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Weapons Complex Monitor
Article 6 of 12
July 31, 2020

Energy Dept. Sticks With August Deadline for Savannah River Lab Bids

By Wayne Barber

The Department of Energy is so far rejecting requests to extend the Aug. 10 deadline for bids on the contract to operate the Savannah River National Laboratory in South Carolina.

Multiple potential bidders requested more time in question-and-answer documents published by DOE last week and Monday. Some asked to move the proposal deadline to late August, and another suggested September.

One of the questioners, who are not identified in the public record, cited the limited amount of time between release of the June 26 final request for proposals (RFP) and DOE’s July 6 deadline for questions on the document. The tight schedule makes it tough to analyze the changes between the draft RFP issued in April and the final version, said one commenter, who added it takes time to “coalesce and understand the impact of the changes and responses to comments/questions.”

The agency, however, said it currently does not anticipate extending the proposal due date, although it could always go that route later if necessary. The Energy Department did not discuss its reasoning.

The Energy Department also said it would not lift its requirement for both hard copies of bid documents and flash drives with the paperwork, a request made during the COVID-19 pandemic by companies that say they prefer to stick with electronic filings during this period of reduced office staffing. The agency did say the hard copies and flash drives need only to be physically delivered to the Savannah River Site, rather than requiring identical sets be sent to the Environmental Management Consolidated Business Center in Cincinnati.

The Savannah River National Laboratory contract is expected to be worth $380 million per year, or potentially $3.8 billion over 10 years. There will be a five-year base period, with DOE holding an option for a five-year extension. The lab and its staff of about 1,000 work in areas ranging from basic science to applied research in support of the missions of both the DOE Office of Environmental Management and semiautonomous National Nuclear Security Administration.

One of the key evaluation factors in the selection proecdss will be each applicants’ long-term vision for enhancing the laboratory and its reputation for multifaceted research, according to documents made public Thursday.

The Energy Department announced last December it intended to separate the laboratory from its current position within management for the Savannah River Site, now under the $14.8 billion contract held by Fluor-led Savannah River Nuclear Solutions (SRNS).

On Thursday, the Energy Department published data on tasks that must be completed during the 120-day transition period to the new contract, such as submission of safety and security plans and moving administration employee benefits to the new manager.

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More