Weapons Complex Monitor Vol. 34 No. 25
Visit Archives | Return to Issue
PDF
Weapons Complex Monitor
Article 4 of 8
June 23, 2023

DOE small biz Q&A includes details on Santa Susana work; bids due in July

By Wayne Barber

The Department of Energy last week gave feedback to contractors on its expectations for a national small business procurement for nuclear cleanup, a solicitation where bids are now due July 10.

In the latest batch of questions and answers for the Small Business Nationwide Deactivation, Decommissioning and Removal procurement, DOE’s cleanup office fielded inquiries on early task orders at a contaminated site 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles. It’s part of a wide-ranging procurement that will eventually include multiple sites over a decade. 

Incumbent North Wind Portage now holds a $65-million contract that runs through September for remediation work at DOE’s Energy Technology Engineering Center at the Santa Susana Field Laboratory in California’s Simi Valley.

North Wind has already taken down to the ground the last of DOE’s structures. 

“A small business North Wind Portage (NWP) has been performing work at ETEC since 2015;  and we do look forward to continuing to support DOE at ETEC,” a North Wind spokesperson said in a Wednesday email reply to Exchange Monitor. 

Boston-based CDM Smith holds the support services work at Santa Susana, and has been extended through Dec. 31, 2023, DOE confirmed Tuesday.

The document indicates there will be a task order with a big role for small business at the California lab, used for decades by Boeing, NASA and DOE for research on areas such as rocket engines and nuclear materials. The lead California agency, the Department of Toxic Substances Control, recently released its final  Program Environmental Impact Report for the property.

DOE will not hold a site tour of the property, but a virtual tour is available online, the agency said in response to a question.

In a larger set of questions and answers on June 9, DOE’s Office of Environmental Management agreed to extend the proposal deadline two weeks, to July 10 rather than June 26. Prospective bidders sought extra time because a Santa Susana task order would mean moving key staff to the greater Los Angeles area.

Between fiscal 2024 and 2034, the Environmental Management Office for DOE expects numerous indefinite-delivery-indefinite-quantity awards at various government sites, with a combined total potentially reaching up to $2 billion, to be issued from the nationwide small business procurement. 

Comments are closed.

Partner Content
Social Feed

NEW: Via public records request, I’ve been able to confirm reporting today that a warrant has been issued for DOE deputy asst. secretary of spent fuel and waste disposition Sam Brinton for another luggage theft, this time at Las Vegas’s Harry Reid airport. (cc: @EMPublications)

DOE spent fuel lead Brinton accused of second luggage theft.



by @BenjaminSWeiss, confirming today's reports with warrant from Las Vegas Metro PD.

Waste has been Emplaced! 🚮

We have finally begun emplacing defense-related transuranic (TRU) waste in Panel 8 of #WIPP.

Read more about the waste emplacement here: https://wipp.energy.gov/wipp_news_20221123-2.asp

Load More