Jeremy L. Dillon
RW Monitor
11/7/2014
The Department of Energy’s Office of Environmental Management late last week issued a draft Request for Proposal for new contracts to provide low-level waste and mixed-low level waste treatment services. The current set of Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity-type contracts for waste treatment services ends in June 2015. DOE intends to issue one or more Basic Ordering Agreements in the second quarter of Fiscal Year 2015, with a five-year period of performance using competitive firm-fixed price task orders issued against the treatment BOA. According to the notice, DOE is looking for a contractor to provide services for the treatment of LLW and MLLW, but may also include “Treatment Storage Disposal Facility (TSDF) Authorized Release for Directed Disposal including Bulk Survey for Release (BSFR), Restricted and Unrestricted Recycling/Reuse, Low Activity Waste (LAW) Services, Ancillary Services, and support in establishing authorized release limits,” the notice said. Industry comment on the draft RFP is due by Nov. 21.
The draft RFP also included the BOA objectives: “The BOA objectives are to provide: (a) Treatment services for LLW and MLLW; (b) BSFR services in accordance with NRC or Agreement State requirements; (c) Alternative disposition strategies for any potential wastes that may not require licensed treatment and disposal (e.g., recycle/reuse); (d) Low Activity Waste Services; and (e) Ancillary services that may be necessary to establish these services and DOE Order 458.1 Authorized Release Limits,” the draft RFP said.